- State University of New York at Buffalo, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A.
Charles has been recognized for exceptional standing in the legal community in The International Who's Who of Private Funds Lawyers 2012, Chambers Global 2012 and Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2015 for Investment Funds and Private Equity work. He has been recognized in Chambers Global and Chambers USA in prior years.
Charles is a member of the American Bar Association (Venture Capital Committee and Committee on Negotiated Acquisitions), New York State Bar Association (Banking, Corporate and Business Law Sections), Erie County Bar Association (Corporation Law Committee) and International Bar Association (Private Investment Funds Committee). He is a member of the Buyouts Insider Advisory Board and is a frequent speaker at industry conferences.
CHARLES P. JACOBS
Charles Jacobs is a partner in the Private Equity and Investment Funds group. He represents institutional investors and managers in connection with the formation of private investment funds.
What do you focus on?
My primary focus is on representing institutional investors in connection with their investments in private investment funds. I represent a number of the leading and most active institutional investors in the world, including public pension funds, funds of funds, endowments and foundations. I also represent sponsors and managers and advise them in connection with the formation of private investment funds. Finally, I represent both buyers and sellers in private equity secondary transactions and have been actively involved in several of the largest secondary portfolio transactions over the past few years.
What do you see on the horizon?
I see the private funds industry continuing to evolve. Increased regulation of the industry will likely continue as will the use of more customized structures, as larger investors become more sophisticated and focused on specific strategies.
- “GP/LP negotiations,” ILPA Level II Institute Panel Presentation, July 12, 2011, New York
- “Fundraising: The Latest Partnership Terms, Trends & Tactics,” Dow Jones Webinar, June 24, 2011
- “Ethical Issues and Conflicts of Interest in the Current Global Private Equity Industry,” Practicing Law Institute 11th Annual Private Equity Forum, July 2010, New York
- “What the ILPA Guidelines Really Mean for Fund Raising,” Dow Jones Webinar, October 2009
- “Ethical Issues and Conflicts of Interest for Private Equity Funds in the Current Environment,” Practicing Law Institute 10th Annual Private Equity Forum, July 2009, New York
- “The Truth About Fund Terms,” Dow Jones Webinar, July 2009
- “Ethical Issues in Private Equity,” Practicing Law Institute 9th Annual Private Equity Forum, July 2008, New York
- “Fund Governance and Conflicts,” International Bar Association, March 2008, London
- “A Review of LP/GP Relations: Aligning Teams, Addressing Governance Issues and Examining Best Practices for Reporting to LP's,” Super Return, February 2008, Munich
- “Fund Raising in Depth,” Dow Jones Webinar, November 2007.
- “Organizing a Private Equity Fund,” Osgoode Hall Private Equity Conference, November 2007, Toronto.
- “Crafting the Win-Win Partnership: What GPs & LPs Need to Know,” Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst Conference, September 2007, New York.
- “Crafting a Win-Win Partnership: Key Terms & Conditions LPs and GPs Must Know,” Dow Jones Webinar, June 2007.
- “Terms and Investor Relations,” Buyouts East, April 2007, New York.
- “Key Characteristics of Successful LP/GP Relations,” SuperReturn, February 2007, Frankfurt.
- “Comparison of US and European Fund Structures and Agreements,” Institutional Limited Partners Association Annual Meeting, October 2006, Boston.
- “Crafting a Win-Win Partnership: The Key Terms & Conditions LPs and GPs Must Know,” Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst Webinar, July 2006.
- “Private Equity Funds: Current Terms and Hot Issues,” International Bar Association Private Investment Funds Conference, February, 2006, London
- “Club Deals,” SuperReturn, February 2006, Frankfurt.
- “Failed Funds: What To Do When Things Go Wrong,” Strategic Research Institute, Saving Private Equity, January 2006, Zurich.