- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar)
- Binghamton University, B.A., Economics, (Phi Beta Kappa)
- London School of Economics and Political Science, Pre-Law
Mr. Cohen has received much recognition from Long Island-based and statewide publications. Most recently, he was selected as a Long Island Pulse “2013 Legal Eagle” in the area of Corporate, Contracts & Business Law, based on peer nomination. Mr. Cohen has been selected for inclusion in New York Super Lawyers in 2007 and from 2009–2011, based on peer-review surveys. Additionally, he was named by Long Island Business News as one of its “40 Rising Stars Under the Age of 40,” as well as one of the publication’s “Who’s Who in Corporate Law” for consecutive years.
Mr. Cohen is also a past recipient of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society’s MS Leadership Award, and has served as an Honorary Chair of the Family and Children’s Association Awards Committee. Additionally, he was named ExecuLeadership Finalist for “Excellence in Law” at the 2008 ExecuLeaders Awards Networking Event.
ALLAN H. COHEN
Allan Cohen is experienced in all areas of business law related to public and private companies, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, corporate finance, public and private securities offerings, private equity and venture capital, organization of new business ventures, banking, commercial transactions, executive compensation, employment agreements, and stock plans.
Mr. Cohen has significant experience representing mature, expansion-stage, and start-up businesses, including technology-driven businesses involved with interactive media, computer software and hardware, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, health care, and entertainment. In addition to providing legal services and advice, he is active in advising clients on business issues and strategic planning, and in networking on behalf of clients and assisting them in establishing relationships with financing sources, banks, other professional service providers, and the media.
A frequent lecturer and commentator, Mr. Cohen has served as a panelist on News 12 Long Island’s Jobline program. He also appeared as a guest speaker on the Long Island Money & Business Show on WLUX radio, and has been interviewed regarding mega-mergers on FOX-TV’s Good Day New York. Mr. Cohen was a senior contributing editor of VC Encyclopedia, an open-source system incorporating commentary and input from a variety of experts in the field of venture capital.
Publications and presentations
- Speaker, “Buying and Selling Businesses—The Anatomy of M&A Deals,” Breakfast Briefings Series, Nixon Peabody LLP, Jericho, New York
- Panelist, “Capital Change—Getting Deals Done in the New Financial Landscape,” New York M&A Council panel discussion, Fox Hollow Inn, Woodbury, New York
- Faculty, “M&A Bootcamp,” New York M&A Council half-day workshop, Nixon Peabody LLP, Jericho, New York
- Panelist, “Mergers & Acquisitions—Tools for Corporate Growth and Liquidity,” New York M&A Council panel discussion, Fox Hollow Inn, Woodbury, New York
- Panel moderator, “Maximizing the Dollars That You Take Away from the Sale of Your Business,” panel discussion presented by Nixon Peabody LLP, Garden City Hotel, Garden City, New York
- Panel moderator, “Crossroads,” panel discussion presented by Nixon Peabody LLP, Fox Hollow Inn, Woodbury, New York
- Speaker, “A Practiced Guide to Valuing, Buying and Selling a Privately Held Business,” National Business Institute, Plainview, New York
- Panel moderator, “Avoiding a Lemon—Multidisciplinary Due Diligence in Business Transactions,” panel discussion presented by Nixon Peabody LLP, Fox Hollow Inn, Woodbury, New York
- Speaker, “Application of Sarbanes-Oxley to Subsidiaries of Public Companies,” business roundtable hosted by Nixon Peabody LLP, Melville Marriott, Melville, New York
- After Long Lull, M&A Activity Surges in 2013
Long Island Business News | March 5, 2013
Long Island office managing partner Allan Cohen discusses the state of the M&A industry.
Long Island Business News | March 1, 2013
This article profiles new Long Island Office Managing Partner Allan Cohen.
- Pro Bono 2012: Power Player
American Lawyer | August 27, 2012
This article highlights the firm’s pro bono involvement with Impact Energies, a company that distributes clean energy products throughout Ghana by providing microfinance loans to locals. New York City securities associate Dan McAvoy, who led the firm’s efforts, is quoted in the piece, as is Washington, DC, Energy & Environmental partner Deborah DeMasi. The other members of the Nixon Peabody team highlighted in the article included partners Allan Cohen and Bill O’Brien and associates Carly Eisenberg, Susannah Keagle, Deirdre Nash, and Richa Naujoks.