- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar)
- Binghamton University, B.A., Economics, (Phi Beta Kappa)
- London School of Economics and Political Science, Pre-Law
Allan Cohen has received much recognition from Long Island-based and statewide publications. Most recently, he was awarded the Leadership in the Law Award by the Long Island Business News. He was also selected as a Long Island Pulse “2013 Legal Eagle” in the area of Corporate, Contracts & Business Law, based on peer nomination. Mr. Cohen has been selected for inclusion in New York Super Lawyers in numerous years, based on peer-review surveys. Additionally, he was named by Long Island Business News as one of its “40 Rising Stars Under the Age of 40,” as well as one of the publication’s “Who’s Who in Corporate Law” for consecutive years.
Allan is also a past recipient of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society’s MS Leadership Award, and has served as Chair of the American Heart Association Long Island Heart Ball and an Honorary Chair of the Family and Children’s Association Awards Committee. Additionally, he was named ExecuLeadership Finalist for “Excellence in Law”.
Allan Cohen is well known in the Long Island business, philanthropic, and civic communities. He is a founder of the New York M&A Council and serves on the Boards of Directors of Phoenix House of New York and Phoenix House of Long Island. He is also a member of the Steering Committee for the New York State Innovation Hot Spot Program and the Long Island High Technology Incubator at Stony Brook University.
Past affiliations include membership in the Long Island Angel Network, membership on the Board of Trustees of Simchat HaLev, committee membership for the Coalition on Child Abuse and Neglect, consultancy to Junior Achievement, and membership on the Touro Law Center’s Technology and the Law Advisory Committee.
Allan is a member of the American, New York, and Nassau County Bar Associations. He is former secretary of the Retail Financial Services Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
ALLAN H. COHEN
Allan Cohen is the Office Managing Partner in Long Island. He represents a variety of companies, ranging from large public entities engaging in mergers and acquisitions, to mid-sized closely held and family-owned business, to technology-based startups organizing new business ventures and raising capital.
Allan says that his clients view him as the “quarterback,” ensuring that not only their business law, but also their employment, litigation, intellectual property, regulatory and other legal needs are met. Much of his practice is dedicated to mergers and acquisitions, including buy-side work for public and private companies, and sell-side work for closely held and family-owned businesses. Allan’s M&A transactions have involved a wide range of industries, including health care, medical device, life sciences, food & beverage, consumer products and insurance. Over his career, he has closed well over 100 M&A transactions.
What do you focus on?
I focus on maintaining a general business law practice, adept at handling my clients’ varied business needs and providing the type of outside counsel that businesses would expect from an in-house general counsel. My clients view me as the “quarterback,” ensuring that not only their business law, but also their employment, litigation, intellectual property, regulatory and other legal needs are met.
I dedicate much of my practice to mergers and acquisitions, including buy-side work for public and private companies, and sell-side work for closely held and family-owned businesses. My M&A transactions involve a wide range of industries, including health care, medical device, life sciences, consumer products and insurance. Over my career, I have closed well over 100 M&A transactions.
I also represent many technology-based startups, including biotech and medical device companies, in the formation and organization of their businesses and seed, angel, VC and private equity financings. Much of my work is for “serial entrepreneurs” who have exited prior businesses and are starting up their next ones.
What do you see on the horizon?
Technology-based companies are going to lead us into the next decade. We partner with our clients in order to help them become market leaders of the future.
Publications and presentations
- Panelist, “Raising the Initial Round of Capital for a Life Sciences Start-up,” NewYorkBIO 25th Anniversary Conference, New York, New York
- Panelist, “Stony Brook University’s Provider Showcase for Emerging Companies and Entrepreneurial Faculty,” Long Island High Technology Incubator, Stony Brook, New York
- Speaker, “Buying and Selling Businesses—The Anatomy of M&A Deals,” Breakfast Briefings Series, Nixon Peabody LLP, Jericho, New York
- Panelist, “Capital Change—Getting Deals Done in the New Financial Landscape,” New York M&A Council panel discussion, Fox Hollow Inn, Woodbury, New York
- Faculty, “M&A Bootcamp,” New York M&A Council half-day workshop, Nixon Peabody LLP, Jericho, New York
- Panelist, “Mergers & Acquisitions—Tools for Corporate Growth and Liquidity,” New York M&A Council panel discussion, Fox Hollow Inn, Woodbury, New York
- Panel moderator, “Maximizing the Dollars That You Take Away from the Sale of Your Business,” panel discussion presented by Nixon Peabody LLP, Garden City Hotel, Garden City, New York
- Panel moderator, “Crossroads,” panel discussion presented by Nixon Peabody LLP, Fox Hollow Inn, Woodbury, New York
- Speaker, “A Practiced Guide to Valuing, Buying and Selling a Privately Held Business,” National Business Institute, Plainview, New York
- Panel moderator, “Avoiding a Lemon—Multidisciplinary Due Diligence in Business Transactions,” panel discussion presented by Nixon Peabody LLP, Fox Hollow Inn, Woodbury, New York
- Speaker, “Application of Sarbanes-Oxley to Subsidiaries of Public Companies,” business roundtable hosted by Nixon Peabody LLP, Melville Marriott, Melville, New York
- Firms Feted for Pro Bono Work
New York Law Journal | November 6, 2015
The Lawyers Alliance for New York presented the 2015 Cornerstone Awards for outstanding pro bono legal services provided to nonprofit organizations. Long Island office managing partner Allan Cohen and Long Island real estate associate Ed Puerta were among the those honored.
- Top Ten Legal Eagles 2013
Long Island Pulse | February 27, 2014
Long Island office managing partner Allan Cohen is featured among leading Nassau and Suffolk County attorneys.
- After Long Lull, M&A Activity Surges in 2013
Long Island Business News | March 5, 2013
Long Island office managing partner Allan Cohen discusses the state of the M&A industry.