- University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of California, Davis, B.A., History, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
ERIC C. STRAIN
Eric Strain is a partner whose practice focuses on aviation, product liability, and commercial matters. He acts as national product liability litigation counsel for some of the world’s largest aircraft manufacturers and distributors, and for international and domestic airlines. He represents clients in federal and state courts throughout the United States in all phases of litigation. He has specialized experience with the unique jurisdictional and other issues foreign defendants face in United States courts. He also represents clients in National Transportation Safety Board accident investigations and provides risk avoidance advice in Europe and the United States.
Mr. Strain is a graduate of the 2010 National Trial Academy held at the National Judicial College in Reno, Nevada, sponsored by the American Bar Association and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
He also has had pro hac vice admissions in numerous federal and state courts nationwide.
- “Personal jurisdiction: Is no news from the Supreme Court good news for foreign product manufacturers?” Nixon Peabody Aviation Law Alert, June 30, 2011
- “The ‘Nexus’ Requirement for Specific Jurisdiction in Product Liability Cases: What Do Federal Courts Require Before a Forum Can Exercise Specific Jurisdiction Over a Foreign Manufacturer Who Did Not Place the Product Into the Stream of Commerce in the United States,” Product Liability 360, March 2009 (co-author)
- “Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act: Assessing the Immunity of Foreign States in U.S. Litigation,” published in the American Bar Association’s The Brief, Fall 2004
- “Recent Developments in Aviation Law,” Southern Methodist University Journal of Air Law and Commerce, Winter 1999
- Editor of Nixon Peabody Aviation Law Alert
- Panel Moderator: “The View from the Regulators: NTSB and FAA Speak Out on the Latest Aviation Litigation Trends,” ACI Third Annual Forum on Defending and Managing Aviation Litigation, June 22, 2011, Boston, Massachusetts
- “The Nexus Requirement for Specific Jurisdiction Over Foreign Aircraft Manufacturers,” Speech Presented at 44th Annual Southern Methodist University Air Law Symposium, February 26, 2010, Dallas, Texas