- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Cornell University, B.A.
Eric has been selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers® and has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” in Employee Benefits/ERISA law by Super Lawyers magazine.
Eric Paley is a member of the firm’s Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation team and serves as deputy practice group leader of the broader Labor & Employment Practice Group.
He focuses his practice on the law and regulations governing retirement plans (e.g., pension, profit-sharing, 401(k), and 403(b) plan compliance), welfare plans (e.g., group health plan, group insurance plan, cafeteria plan, HIPAA, and COBRA compliance), nonqualified deferred compensation plans, and equity compensation plans. A significant portion of Eric’s practice also involves counseling retirement plan committees on their fiduciary responsibilities under ERISA.
The vast majority of Eric’s clients are tax-exempt institutions—hospitals and health systems; colleges and universities; internationally known arts/cultural icons; trade organizations; and social welfare agencies—although he also represents both privately held and public for-profit companies.
- Speaker, “Fiduciary Responsibility in the New Age of § 403(b) Plans,” Webinar, June 15, 2009.
- Speaker, “COBRA Changes Under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act,” Webinar, February 26, 2009.
- Speaker, “Controlling Health Care Costs,” Lorman Education Services, Providence, Rhode Island, September 25, 2008.
- Speaker, 403(b) Retirement Plan Summit, Pension & Investments Magazine, New York City, New York, April 8, 2008.
- Speaker, “The Law of Wellness,” Northern California Human Resources Association, Oakland, California, September 18, 2007.
- Speaker and Panelist, “Funding Vehicles and Cost-Containment Strategies,” 5th Annual Great Lakes Public Finance Conference, Chicago, Illinois, November 15, 2006.
- Speaker, “Legal Issues Arising in the Modification and Termination of OPEB of Public Employees,” 2006 National Summit on GASB 43 & GASB 45, Arlington, Virginia, September 22, 2006.
- Coauthor, “Stage Set for Supreme Court to Consider ERISA Preemption of San Francisco ‘Pay or Play’ Law as Ninth Cuircuit Denies Rehearing En Banc,” Bender’s Labor & Employment Bulletin, April 2009.
- Author, “EACA Withdrawals,” Journal of Pension Benefits, Spring 2008.
- Coauthor, “Health Care Reform in the Workplace: Everything Old Is New Again,” HR West Magazine, December 2007.
- Author, “Taxation of Roth Distributions,” Journal of Pension Benefits, Summer 2007.
- Author, “Nonspousal IRAs,” Journal of Pension Benefits, Spring 2007.
- Preparing for Healthcare Reform
Corporate Secretary | March 26, 2013
Rochester Labor & Employment partner Eric Paley discusses how preparing for provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that go into effect in 2014 could be a big deal for many companies.
- Legal Advisers Step in to Help Navigate Uncharted Waters
Rochester Business Journal | September 21, 2012
Rochester Labor & Employment partner Eric Paley and Rochester Labor & Employment counsel Kate Saracene discuss how the firm has responded to the passing of the Affordable Care Act and have helped clients navigate the changes.
- Viewpoint: Work, worry lie ahead for retirement plan administrators
Rochester Business Journal | June 8, 2012
This contributed article, authored by Rochester Labor & Employment partner Eric Paley and Rochester Labor & Employment associate Stacy Lawkowski, discusses new regulations from the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employee Benefits Security Administration that will keep retirement plan administrators busy.