We push each other to ever-greater pro bono service.
From representing international refugees fleeing persecution to helping low-income entrepreneurs launch a business, we give our time and skills to ensure equal access to justice. In fact, we have a partner dedicated to connecting our lawyers to opportunities for pro bono service. As a signatory to the Pro Bono Institute’s Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge©, Nixon Peabody has committed to spending more than 3% of our time on pro bono.
Our pro bono program has many touch points. We are involved with many societal issues ranging from reducing gun violence to preventing racial profiling and ensuring diversity in education. We partner with clients providing pro bono service, often serving side-by-side with them. We develop community-minded lawyers of the future by getting all of our summer associates involved in pro bono projects. And some of our attorneys tap their backgrounds and contacts in government to contribute pro bono service at the policy level—shaping legislation that addresses tomorrow’s challenges.
At Nixon Peabody, we give billable credit for pro bono work and recognize our lawyers’ achievements through an awards program and at evaluation time. We believe our time giving back is time well spent.
Nixon Peabody’s 2013 pro bono numbers
- 59 pro bono hours per attorney
- 4.1% of billable hours spent on pro bono
- 37,949 pro bono hours worked
- 89% of attorneys did pro bono projects
- Volunteer Legal Services Project NYSBA Attorney Emeritus Award (2014)
- New York City Bar Justice Center Pro Bono Award (2014)
- LGBT Advocacy Award from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Southern California (2014)
- William E. McKnight Volunteer Service Award (2014)
- Legal Services for Children Pro Bono Leadership Award (2014)
- PAIR Outstanding Pro Bono Mentor Award (2014)
- NHBA Distinguished Service to the Public Award (2014)
- Long Island Coalition for the Homeless Corporate Partner Award (2013)
- Rita Bourgeois Leadership Award (2013)
- REACH Pro Bono Award (2013)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly Excellence in the Law Award for Pro Bono (2013)
- CASA de Maryland Social Justice Award (2013)
- Pro Bono Award, United States District Court for the Western District of New York State (2012)
- Legal Aid Society Pro Bono Award (2012)
- Lawyers Alliance for New York Cornerstone Award (2012)
- NYC Bar Association Jeremy G. Epstein Pro Bono Award (2012)
- NYLJ “Lawyers Who Lead By Example” (2012)
- LCAV Outstanding Pro Bono Contribution Award (2012)
- Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) Allegiance Award (2012)
- Legal Counsel for the Elderly Pro Bono Award (2012)
- WBASNY Hanna S Cohn Pro Bono Award (2012)
- 2012 William E. McKnight Volunteer Service Award (2012)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly Excellence in Pro Bono Award (2012)
- Center for Gender and Refugee Studies Pro Bono Award (2012)
- Rochester’s 29th Annual Arts Award (2012)
- 60 NP lawyers were honored as Empire State Counsel for their pro bono service by the NYSBA (2012) (Awarded February 2013)
- Chelsea Housing Authority sues to recover lost cash
Boston Globe | November 24, 2014
Boston Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring partner Rick Pedone is quoted in this article discussing efforts to recover funds for the Chelsea Housing Authority, which suffered major financial loss under its former executive director. This is an ongoing pro bono matter for Rick and team.
- Law Firms Double Down on Veterans Pro Bono
Daily Journal | November 14, 2014
Nixon Peabody is acknowledged by Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA) Veterans Project for the firm’s pro bono support in this feature story on local initiatives supporting Veterans.
- Awards for Pro Bono Service
New York Law Journal | October 23, 2014
New York City Public Finance partner Liz Columbo is named among the attorneys recognized by the City Bar Justice Center with its sixth annual Jeremy G. Epstein Awards for Outstanding Pro Bono Service.