Government Investigations & White Collar Defense
GOVERNMENT INVESTIGATIONS & WHITE COLLAR DEFENSE
We protect our clients’ reputations and safeguard the future of their businesses through effective compliance programs, efficient investigations and strategic representation in the courtroom.
Governmental regulations are increasingly enforced through criminal prosecution rather than mere civil fines.
Our team has extensive proficiency in counseling, investigating and litigating all forms of government inquiry. Our nationwide representation includes managing matters from the investigation and grand jury stages through trial and, if necessary, appeal and collateral proceedings.
We provide comprehensive services to individuals and organizations that receive civil investigative demands, subpoenas or any other requests for information from federal prosecutors, state prosecutors or investigative agencies.
Our services include:
- Conducting internal investigations and preparing investigative reports on behalf of corporate clients
- Establishing compliance programs
- Responding to informal requests for information, subpoenas and search warrants
- Formulating investigative and defense strategies
- Providing counsel to defendants in civil cases or targets, subjects or witnesses in criminal proceedings to defend their legal rights and interests
Who we work with
Individuals in a wide variety of industries, including, among others:
- Life sciences and heath care
- Financial services and securities
- National security and defense
- Higher education
- Public policy and government relations
- Why a Judge Dismissed Cannava From SEC's 38 Studios Case
The Bond Buyer | August 5, 2016
This coverage notes Nixon Peabody’s recent win on behalf of client Peter Cannava, involving SEC claims related to a bond offer involving former MLB pitcher Curt Schilling. Boston partners Brian Kelly and Steve LaRose, Providence counsel Charles Tamuleviz and Boston associate Kathleen Ceglarski Burns are listed as the litigation team, and Brian Kelly is quoted.
- Probation is backed for ex-FBI official who lied at Bulger trial
The Boston Globe | July 30, 2016
Boston Government Investigations & White Collar Defense group partner Brian Kelly is quoted in this article about former FBI supervisor Robert Fitzpatrick, who faces sentencing this week for lying on the stand at James “Whitey” Bulger’s murder trial.
- Materiality Matters: The First Post-Escobar Decisions
Law360 | July 19, 2016
Chicago partner John Ruskusky and Washington, DC, associate Emily Harlan co-authored this column regarding expected changes for False Claims Act cases and investigations in the aftermath of the decision in Universal Health Services Inc. v. United States ex rel. Escobar.