In today’s global marketplace, companies face legal challenges that require specific knowledge of procedures, regulations, and customs all over the world. Nixon Peabody’s International practice includes attorneys with many years of hands-on experience in the major international markets, including Europe, Latin America, and Asia. We provide domestic and overseas clients with highly-informed counsel on a wide range of cross-border transactions and trade matters.
In addition to our global offices, our attorneys work with a trusted network of local counsel in countries across the globe to assure prompt, effective service. We also have several international initiatives underway that focus our efforts in particular global areas where we do not have offices, including:
- South Asia
Lawyers from nearly all of our practice areas have an international component to their work. Each day, we handle matters for clients in almost every part of the world. These issues include:
- Cross-border mergers and acquisitions
- Intellectual property protection (patents, trademarks, copyrights)
- International loan and syndicated loan agreements
- Immigration and global employment issues
- Negotiation and drafting of commercial agreements of all types
- World Bank development loan and sovereign debt issues
- Securities transactions in numerous global exchanges
- International project finance and structured finance arrangements
- International tax and tax planning
- Creation of foreign branches and subsidiaries
- International private equity transactions
- Export issues and U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) matters
Since 1999, Nixon Peabody has been a member of TerraLex®, a selective international network of more than 15,000 lawyers from 155 leading independent law firms located in 100 countries. This membership gives us access to lawyers who have familiarity with local business customs and practices, as well as the right regional connections and depth of jurisdictional knowledge. This membership affords us the opportunity to consult and work with a vast network of legal counsel throughout the world who have been pre-screened by a respected organization.
- Carlyle, KKR, TPG Raising Billions for China, But Deals May Be Scarce
Buyouts | April 29, 2013
Partner and leader of the firm’s China and Asia Pacific practice David Cheng discusses private equity deal trends in China.
- Seeking Advice on Doing Business Abroad Picks Up Pace
Rochester Business Journal | December 14, 2012
Rochester partner Jim Bourdeau is featured in this article discussing the legal aspects companies need to be aware of when doing business abroad.
- Franchise World
Minority Business Entrepreneur | November 30, 2012
Washington, DC, partner Kendal Tyre co-authored this article discussing increasing franchise investments in Africa.