- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude; Edward F. Hennessey Scholar; Paul J. Liacos Scholar; G. Joseph Tauro Scholar
- Boston University, B.A., magna cum laude
Jay has been named a “Super Lawyer” in the area of Estate Planning & Probate by Thomson Reuters since 2011. Jay also has been listed in the Trusts and Estates section of Best Lawyers in America since 2008.
Jay is a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (“ACTEC”) and has served previously as a visiting member of the Harvard Law School faculty, where he taught Wills & Trusts. Jay has also served as a Co-Chairperson of the Trusts & Estates Section of the Boston Bar Association. As well, he is a frequent speaker on estate planning at a variety of continuing education programs for attorneys, accountants, and other financial services professionals. In addition, Jay serves on the Estate Planning Curriculum Committee for MCLE, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education.
JAY D. ROSENBAUM
Jay Rosenbaum is a partner in Nixon Peabody's Private Clients group and the leader of the firm’s International Private Clients team. Jay represents high net worth individuals and families both in the US and around the globe.
What do you focus on?
Individuals and families are at the core of my practice, with a strong focus on international families. I also serve domestic high net worth families and have special experience integrating estate and business planning.
International Private Clients
I bring US-focused private client experience to the international marketplace. I advise families around the globe who require professional yet practical structuring of their assets and management of tax exposures in multiple jurisdictions. I also serve as an onshore US trustee for many international families.
High-Net-Worth Individuals and Families
I advise many families, in the US and abroad, in their estate planning. I take a broad and long view of my relationships with my clients and work to ensure that clients’ hard earned assets are preserved and protected for the benefit of multiple generations. I serve as a trustee or executor for many of my clients and so steward the implementation of our planning over time.
Integrated Individual and Business Planning
Early in my career my practice was focused on middle-market corporate transactions. I draw on that experience to develop integrated planning techniques for my individual clients who own businesses and require that strategies be implemented at the personal and corporate levels.
I represent families and financial institutions when disputes arise in the context of estate planning and wealth management structures.
What do you see on the horizon?
The US is becoming a real focal point for international wealth planning. As international families increasingly seek to move people and assets to the US, savvy cross-border tax planning and asset structuring will be essential.
Publications & Presentations
- “Wealth seeks out safe harbours,” Wealth Strucuring 20:20, Appleby, 2015.
- Speaker, “Legacy: Planned Giving Vehicles,” 2012 Annual Conference: The Power of Teamwork, Grinspoon Institute for Jewish Philanthropy, November 4, 2012
- Speaker, “Cross-Border Wealth Transfer Planning: Potential Pitfalls and Practical Solutions,” Boston, Massachussetts, October 11, 2012.
- Speaker, “Taxes and Planning During Your U.S. Assignment,” estate planning presentation before foreign-based investment bank, October 4, 2011.
- Speaker, “A Primer on International Estate Planning,” live teleconference presented by Lorman Education Services, September 14, 2011.
- Co-author, “Taxpayer-Friendly Guidance for U.S. Taxpayers Residing in United Kingdom,” Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP Client Advisory, August 15, 2011.
- Guest blogger, “Jewish Day School Excellence and Affordability: Why Does the Grass Appear Greener on the Other Side of the Pond?” Partnership for Excellence in Jewish Education Blog, February 18, 2011.
- Faculty Member, Estate Tax Repeal seminar and live webcast, presented by MCLE, Boston, Massachusetts, March 17, 2010.
- Panelist, “Foreign Trusts: U.S. Income Tax Considerations,” presented by Estate Planning Committee of the Trusts & Estates Section of the Boston Bar Association, Boston, Massachusetts, February 11, 2010.
- Speaker, “A Primer on International Estate Planning,” live teleconference presented by Lorman Education Services, February 4, 2010.
- Panelist, “IRS Service—Wide Approach to International Tax Administration,” Bentley University’s 16th Annual Internal Revenue Service Town Meeting, Waltham, Massachusetts, October 25, 2009.
- Speaker, “Estate Administration, Post-Mortem Estate Planning, and Planning for the Surviving Spouse,” Boston, Massachusetts, March 26, 2009.
- Speaker, “Cross-Border Estate Planning,” FPA Boston 2008—The Annual Conference of the Financial Planning Community, Boston, Massachusetts, October 4–7, 2008.
- Speaker, “International Estate Planning,” New Hampshire Estate Planning Council’s Membership Dinner and Meeting, Bedford, New Hampshire, November 14, 2007.