Justine Wilcox concentrates her practice on various aspects of real estate. Her practice includes the purchase, sale, construction, and financing of real estate, individual assets, and portfolio transactions. This transactional practice also focuses on sophisticated aspects of financing including ground leases, mezzanine and bridge financings, and tenant-in-common transactions. She has experience in the acquisition, disposition, and special servicing of mortgage loans as well as loan modifications, assumptions, and work-outs. Ms. Wilcox’s skills also permit her to practice with the firm’s Affordable Housing and Syndication practices, providing real estate and HUD support.
Among her engagements in recent years, Ms. Wilcox was responsible for the following:
- Team leader for the acquisition of a portfolio of properties, both conventionally financed and HUD-subsidized, as well as the acquisition of stock in the company managing those properties
- Team leader in the acquisition and financing of real estate with sponsors on behalf of investors participating in like-kind exchanges
- Principal negotiator of acquisitions of asset classes including office buildings, apartment complexes, shopping centers, and golf courses
- Lead counsel in connection with the disposition of mortgage loans secured by residential, industrial, and construction properties
- Lead counsel in the acquisition of whole loans, participations, and servicing rights
- Counsel to lenders and borrowers in connection with workouts and restructuring
Ms. Wilcox joined Nixon Peabody in 1999, prior to which she was a partner in two other nationally prominent law firms active in real estate law. Ms. Wilcox began her legal career as an attorney-advisor in the Office of General Counsel of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and worked directly for the Government National Mortgage Association as a program analyst.
Ms. Wilcox was a contributing author of The Art of M&A.