Labor & Employment
LABOR & EMPLOYMENT
Labor and employment law is complex and subject to frequent, often dramatic, change. Thousands of laws and regulations—sometimes conflicting in terms and purpose—impose a heavy compliance burden on employers. At the same time, labor and employment issues affect the livelihood of employees and their families, and can lead to highly charged, personal, and often public disputes that can seem intractable.
From prevention to compliance to litigation, the experienced lawyers at Nixon Peabody help companies find the balanced, practical solutions they need so that labor and employment issues don’t get in the way of doing business.
Labor and employment law is just one piece of the larger legal compliance puzzle—it can’t be viewed in a vacuum. An employee termination can trigger corporate disclosure requirements; an OSHA violation can give rise to product liability and environmental compliance concerns; and a strike can raise trade libel concerns. We have many years of experience dealing with these intricate relationships, so we can help our clients effectively handle each situation.
- Tailored representation: We take the time to understand our clients’ business objectives. As a result, our clients receive responses, services, and state-of-the-art products that are specifically tailored to their particular needs.
- Urgent response: When an immediate response is necessary—whether it is major litigation, a significant industrial accident, mass picketing, workplace violence, or any other significant labor or employment issue—we are available 24/7. We’ve been there before, so our clients get fast, time-tested, workable solutions.
Risk reduction and prevention
Litigation and government investigations can be expensive and time-consuming, so we make sure our clients receive cutting-edge, cost-effective training, resources, and audits aimed at preventing compliance problems and workplace disputes before they happen. Some of our services include:
- Innovative, interactive training: Our interactive training techniques for in-person, web-based, and video conference sessions are all designed to be educational as well as entertaining and memorable. We have many, up-to-date training modules immediately available, and can create new, highly-customized programs that are tailored to the specific needs of our clients.
- Employment law audits: Performing a thorough review of our clients’ policies and procedures can dramatically reduce risks. Our audits generally utilize the attorney-client privilege and the attorney work-product doctrine to help clients minimize the possibility that good faith efforts to identify and respond to employment law issues can be used against them.
Protection as the law evolves
Our lawyers closely monitor evolving developments in the law, so our clients get up-to-the minute coverage and counsel to keep them current with, and ahead of, changes that could impact their business as we provide:
- Complimentary timely publications: Regular updates about potential labor and employment law developments through our nationally recognized e-mail alerts.
- Seminars or webinars: Tailored to keep clients up-to-date on new and revised regulations and policies as well as provide practical, business applications.
- Critical document updates: Handbooks, policies, forms, and procedures are reviewed regularly to make sure employers remain on top of current trends and in proper compliance with the law as it evolves.
With offices across the U.S. and in European and Asian commercial centers, Nixon Peabody’s full-service, international Labor & Employment practice is able to respond quickly and effectively to our clients’ needs in each community we serve. We know that labor and employment law often involves local issues, yet at the same time, it often has much broader implications.
Our attorneys are also skilled at helping employers navigate the complexities of a global workforce. We work closely with a trusted network of local counsel in foreign countries to provide comprehensive advice to foreign employers doing business in the United States, U.S. multinational employers, and U.S. employers doing business overseas.
Our Labor & Employment Litigation practice was recognized at the prestigious National Tier One Level in the 2011–2012 U.S. News/Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” rankings. Our Labor & Employment practices were also recognized nationally and received metropolitan honors in Albany, Boston, Los Angeles, New York City, Rhode Island, Rochester, and San Francisco.
Both Chambers USA and Chambers Global also ranked several of our Labor & Employment attorneys as leading lawyers in their fields. In addition, the majority of our Labor & Employment group partners have been recognized as leaders in their fields and have been honored in Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers, among other publications.
- No Firing After Facebook Post, NLRB Tells Tour Bus Company
Reuters | May 8, 2013
San Francisco Labor & Employment associate Renée Jackson discusses the National Labor Relations Board’s focus on social media as illustrated by a recent ruling that a tour bus guide was unlawfully fired from his job after complaining about working conditions in a Facebook post.
- Social Media and Employment
C-SPAN | May 6, 2013
San Francisco Labor & Employment associate Renée Jackson is among the featured panelists who spoke about the privacy, social, and policy implications that arise when employers use social media to gather personal data of potential employees during the hiring process.
- Post-Brinker Workers Attack Calif. Employers on New Fronts
Employment Law360 | April 9, 2013
San Francisco Labor & Employment partner Paul Lynd discusses employment lawsuits a year after California Supreme Court’s landmark Brinker v. Superior Court decision holding that companies don’t need to police employees to ensure they stop working during meal breaks.