Lisa is experienced in all aspects of commercial litigation and is a member of the firm's Energy and Environmental practice group. She represents individuals and businesses in federal and state court and before environmental regulatory agencies.
What do you focus on?
I have represented individuals and business entities of all sizes in federal and state court litigation, including commercial contract disputes, trade secret and intellectual property matters. I have a great deal of experience with California’s Proposition 65 and have represented companies in suits brought by the state attorney general and private plaintiff groups. I also counsel clients on environmental issues on the federal and state level.
Whether in a litigation matter, administrative proceeding or as part of a business transaction, I work with clients to identify and resolve environmental issues in an efficient manner.
What do you see on the horizon?
I think about the clients’ business plans and help manage the issues and challenges confronting them in a manner that helps them achieve their business goals.
- Handled environmental due diligence and permit transfer issues for independent power producers purchasing utility assets in divestiture transactions throughout the United States, including California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York.
- Conducted environmental diligence related to issuance of permit opinion letters required for project acquisitions and financings. Negotiated environmental permit opinions with financial institutions.
- Represented national product manufacturers in Proposition 65 litigation and negotiated settlements with environmental advocacy groups and California’s Attorney General.
- Counseled client in connection with joint ventures to privatize military housing units in Hawaii, South Carolina, North Carolina and New York. Reviewed and negotiated environmental provisions of transaction documents and coordinated diligence conducted by environmental consultants and local counsel.
- Advise client and draft legal briefs in connection with litigation involving the development of coal bed natural gas fields.
- Represented companies in litigation involving CERCLA, negligence trespass and nuisance claims. Participated in defense group proceedings related to Superfund sites. Negotiated favorable settlements and decrees with regulatory agencies and courts.
- Advise and counsel multiple clients in connection with the purchase and sale or real estate impacted by environmental contaminants.
- Represented client in investment in large power plant in New York. Conducted due diligence related to contaminated property. Coordinated with local counsel with respect to challenges to facility’s PSD permit.
- Advise and counsel clients regarding compliance with NEPA and CEQA. Represent clients in connection with administrative and judicial challenges under CEQA.
- Represented local company in defense of trade secret misappropriation and unfair business practice claims.
- Represented local municipality in insurance coverage dispute arising out of groundwater contamination and chemical spill.
- Represented corporation in dispute with local regulatory agency and District Attorneys’ Office regarding compliance with hazardous waste and underground storage tank laws.
- Prepared Freedom of Information Act Requests, California Public Record Act Requests, and administrative claims directed to government entities with regard to the investigation of potential litigation.
- Handled client matters in federal and state court involving EPA investigations of TCE and other contaminants related to the dry cleaning industry.
Lisa is a regular contributor to California Environmental Liability Enforcement and Penalties Reporter and Los Angeles Daily Journal analyzing current environmental case opinions.
- Guest Lecturer, University of California at Santa Cruz, Extended Education course, “Regulatory Framework in Environmental Law,” 2000-2003.