Maia Harris is a seasoned trial lawyer whose practice focuses on enforcement and defense of patent litigation claims involving a broad range of technologies including wireless cellular technology and medical devices. She has significant experience in large-scale complex intellectual property litigation, including multi-party litigation and trial work in federal district courts across the country. Maia has also advised and represented emerging and established businesses with contract, trade secret, copyright, trademark, false advertising, and licensing disputes.
In addition to trial work, Maia has extensive experience advising clients on the thorny issues raised during e-discovery in federal and state court litigation, as well as general data preservation and management issues.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict in medical device case in the District of Massachusetts, finding all asserted patents in suit to be valid and infringed.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict of non-infringement and invalidity in a patent matter against non-practicing entity in Eastern District of Virginia in case involving wireless technology.
- Represented a large telecommunications client in the Eastern District of Virginia in which our client asserted infringement of a patent relating to VOIP technology. Successfully transferred the case to the client’s home district in the Western District of New York. Case settled on favorable terms.
- Prior to clarification of law passed by Congress as part of the America Invents Acts, represented several companies involved in false marking claims. Cases settled favorably.
- “Do Predictions Come True? KSR, eBay, and the Real Impact on Patent License Negotiations,” Intellectual Property Today, July 2008
- “Supreme Court Revises Federal Circuit’s Limitations on Patent Exhaustion,” Intellectual Property Alert, June 13, 2008
- “Effective December 1, 2006: E-Discovery Changes to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,” E-discovery Law Alert, November 27, 2006
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Proving or Disproving Joint Infringement: Bracing for the Fallout from Akamai in Device Method Prosecution and Litigation,” American Conference Institute’s 3rd Summit on Medical Device Patents, March 2013
- “Key Patent Strategies for Medical Device Companies in 2012,” MassMEDIC Seminar, May 2012