- New York Law School, J.D., cum laude (Jackson Award for Outstanding Performance in Labor Relations Law)
- Northern Illinois University, B.S.
MARJORIE S. FOCHTMAN
Ms. Fochtman heads the firm’s West Coast Wage-Hour Team. She has extensive experience in wage and hour matters, representing employers in Department of Labor and California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement audits, labor commissioner hearings, and in state and federal court, both in individual wage claims and class actions. She also represents employers in preventive employment and labor law; discrimination, sexual harassment, and wrongful discharge litigation; employment training; and preparing personnel policies and procedures.
- “An Employer’s Obligations for California’s Meal and Rest Periods,” Bloomberg BNA HR Decision Support Network, May 2012.
Ms. Fochtman is a frequent speaker on a variety of employment law topics.
- “Can Employers Catch a Break and Rest After Brinker?” Nixon Peabody Webinar, April 17, 2012 (co-presenter with Paul Lynd)
- “Social Media Boot Camp for Employers,” Employer Resource Institute, November 2011, Berkeley, CA
- “California Leave Laws: Avoid Common Traps for the Unwary,“ Employer Resource Institute, November 2011, Berkeley, CA
- “Labor & Employment Law Briefing 2011,” Nixon Peabody, October 2011, San Francisco and Silicon Valley, CA
- “Wage & Hour Law Update and Challenges for 2011,” Bay Area Compensation Association, March 2011, San Francisco, CA
- “Social Media: What Every Employer Should Know,” East Bay HR Leadership Forum, May 2010, Dublin, CA
- “Best Practices for Internal Investigations in the Age of Technology,” Nixon Peabody LLP, March 2010, San Francisco, CA
- “Protecting Trade Secrets in an Era of Increasing Employee Mobility,” Northern California Human Resources Association, January 2010, Santa Clara, CA