Nixon Peabody has served the needs of energy industry clients for more than 75 years. We offer in-depth industry knowledge, an integrated team approach, and the extensive resources of a full-service firm. Our team has significant experience representing clients in their energy-related transactions. We provide project development support and financing advice and counsel. Our attorneys work in areas including fossil fuel generation, renewable energy, and transmission.
We have varied and broad experience in public power financings for systems across the United States. Our attorneys have negotiated and drafted acquisition agreements (both project-specific and all-requirements), power sales contracts, construction contracts, reliability exchange agreements, gas and electric prepay contracts, and operating agreements, as well as other related contracts and agreements.
Representative power and energy finance transactions
In the power and energy sector, our attorneys have represented:
- Energy Investors Funds in connection with a project financing of the $1 billion Astoria project in New York.
- PG&E National Energy Group, in connection with the $1.46 billion portfolio construction and term financing of four merchant gas-fired power projects in New York, Arizona, Michigan, and Massachusetts.
- Calpine Corporation, in connection with project development and the $503 million joint construction and term financing of the 375 MW gas-fired facility in Mankato, Minnesota, and 250 MW combined cycle facility in Freeport, Texas.
- Eleven load serving entities, in connection with the negotiation of agreements related to the ownership, construction management, operation, and maintenance for multiple new transmission projects throughout the upper Midwest.
- Clients engaged in the construction, equipment procurement, and development of seven new coal/pet coke, fired generating units, and in the development of three coal gasification projects throughout the United States.
- E.ON U.S. LLC, in the sale of coal-fired, natural gas-fired, and wind-powered operating facilities in New York, Virginia, Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas.
- A major financial services company as the lead solar energy tax credit investor as it negotiated and structured an equity investment in a 14 MW project located at Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada—at the time the largest solar photovoltaic (PV) facility in North America.
- A developer and investor in two wind energy projects in New York State. Our scope of work includes interconnection and energy regulatory work, siting, permitting, environmental impact review, local zoning, real estate, and real property tax.
- A major investment bank in the financing of a biomass-fueled energy facility that uses paper sludge and other biomass materials as fuel and provides energy to a paper mill.