Rebecca Simone concentrates her health care practice on advising providers on regulatory matters; federal and state fraud and abuse and Stark laws; Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement issues; HIPAA, corporate compliance, and several other medical/legal and regulatory issues. She has assisted clients in developing compliance programs and has conducted employee training sessions.
Ms. Simone also has experience working with pharmacies and interacting with regulatory agencies. On behalf of her clients, she has successfully obtained Advisory Opinions from the Department of Health and Human Services Inspector General regarding compliance with the federal anti-kickback statute. Additionally, Ms. Simone has represented providers undergoing federal and state audits and investigations.
Ms. Simone has acted as health care regulatory counsel on mergers and acquisitions of both public and private health care entities. She has worked closely with both health care providers and health care management companies on such transactions.
Before joining Nixon Peabody, Ms. Simone worked for National Medical Health Card Systems, Inc., a pharmacy benefits manager, as manager of legal affairs and compliance. There she handled all aspects of representing a publicly held corporation.
Ms. Simone attended Hofstra University School of Law on an academic scholarship. While in law school, Ms. Simone participated in Hofstra’s Mediation Clinic and competed in an ABA mediation competition.
Publications and presentations
- "FAQs on the Final ACO Regulations," Nixon Peabody Alert, December 2011. (Co-author)
- "Safeguarding your Data: Security Breaches and Notification Requirements," Lorman Group, September 2011. (Presenter)
- "Health Care Fraud & Abuse for Acute Care Providers", Foundation for Accounting Education's Healthcare Conference, September 2011. (Presenter)
- "Analysis of Proposed ACO Regulations Issued March 31, 2011," Nixon Peabody Alert, April 2011. (Co-author)
- "Health Care Fraud and Abuse: What You Need to Do Now," Nixon Peabody webinar, April 2011. (Co-presenter)
- "Strong Message from HHS/OCR with Two HIPAA Privacy Rule Enforcements within One Week," Nixon Peabody Alert, February 2011. (Co-author)
- "Gift Bans," Nixon Peabody Alert, July 2009. (Co-author)
- "FTC 'Red Flag Rules' Effective November 1, 2008," Nixon Peabody Alert, October 2008. (Co-author)
- "Health Care Policies of Our Presidential Candidates," Nixon Peabody Alert, October 2008. (Co-author)
- "Medicare Incentives to Physicians for E-Prescribing to Begin in 2009," Nixon Peabody Alert, July 2008. (Co-author)
- "Governor Paterson Signs End-of-Life Program into Law," Nixon Peabody Alert, July 2008. (Co-author)