Rebecca Simone represents for-profit and nonprofit health services providers and entities.
What do you focus on?
My practice covers various areas of regulatory compliance and transactional work. Leveraging my industry knowledge and prior experience as in-house counsel for a publicly traded pharmacy benefits manager, today I mainly focus in three areas.
Fraud and Abuse
I regularly counsel our health services clients on navigating their practices/businesses within the confines of the Federal Anti-Kickback Statute, the Federal Stark law and state law equivalents. I have successfully obtained Advisory Opinions from the Department of Health and Human Services Inspector General regarding compliance with the Anti-Kickback Statute.
Mergers and Acquisitions
I’ve acted as health care regulatory counsel on mergers and acquisitions of both public and private health care entities. I work closely with both health care providers and health care management companies on such transactions.
Health Information Privacy/HIPAA
I work with clients that have experienced data breaches or are undergoing HIPAA investigations. Additionally, I help clients bring their policies and practices into compliance with HIPAA.
What do you see on the horizon?
I’ve noticed a recent increase in regulatory audits and investigations of health services clients. We help mitigate risk in this area by developing comprehensive compliance plans for our clients.
Publications and presentations
- "FAQs on the Final ACO Regulations," Nixon Peabody Alert, December 2011. (Co-author)
- "Safeguarding your Data: Security Breaches and Notification Requirements," Lorman Group, September 2011. (Presenter)
- "Health Care Fraud & Abuse for Acute Care Providers", Foundation for Accounting Education's Healthcare Conference, September 2011. (Presenter)
- "Analysis of Proposed ACO Regulations Issued March 31, 2011," Nixon Peabody Alert, April 2011. (Co-author)
- "Health Care Fraud and Abuse: What You Need to Do Now," Nixon Peabody webinar, April 2011. (Co-presenter)
- "Strong Message from HHS/OCR with Two HIPAA Privacy Rule Enforcements within One Week," Nixon Peabody Alert, February 2011. (Co-author)
- "Gift Bans," Nixon Peabody Alert, July 2009. (Co-author)
- "FTC 'Red Flag Rules' Effective November 1, 2008," Nixon Peabody Alert, October 2008. (Co-author)
- "Health Care Policies of Our Presidential Candidates," Nixon Peabody Alert, October 2008. (Co-author)
- "Medicare Incentives to Physicians for E-Prescribing to Begin in 2009," Nixon Peabody Alert, July 2008. (Co-author)
- "Governor Paterson Signs End-of-Life Program into Law," Nixon Peabody Alert, July 2008. (Co-author)