Strength and experience across multiple legal disciplines and an energetic, collaborative culture make Nixon Peabody an ideal law firm for professional sports teams, owners, developers, lenders and investment banks, host municipalities, athletes, and entertainers.
We represent clients in these highly public and dynamic fields across the full spectrum of their legal needs. Whether advising on the financing and development of a billion-dollar stadium, or helping individual athletes and entertainers negotiate contracts or protect their intellectual property, we stay tightly focused on our clients’ objectives.
Service offerings include:
- Stadium finance and development
- Club and league debt
- Capital markets transactions
- Franchise sales and ownership transfers
- Advice on team operational and venue issues and comparisons
- League-related issues and negotiations
- Merchandising and brand management
- Naming rights and sponsorship agreements
- Interactive media and digital content
Our attorneys have extensive experience interacting with the various major sports leagues, and have negotiated and drafted virtually every type of contract and agreement related to the use and financing of sports facilities. Recent transactions include financings aggregating over $5 billion for the NFL and the following NFL franchises: New York Giants, New York Jets (Project Finance magazine’s North American 2007 Leisure Deal of the Year), Dallas Cowboys, and New England Patriots; MLB’s New York Yankees (Bond Buyer’s 2006 Deal of the Year), New York Mets, and Minnesota Twins; and the NBA’s Orlando Magic.