Clients need clear and decisive answers to their tax questions. Nixon Peabody provides them. Our experienced, creative tax attorneys both monitor and influence new developments in the tax laws. We regularly advise domestic, multinational, and multistate businesses; small- to middle-market businesses; nonprofit organizations; estates; trusts; and individuals to help resolve controversies, facilitate complex transactions, and develop sound tax planning strategies.
We move quickly and efficiently to help our clients meet business objectives. Our seasoned attorneys consistently deliver winning advice and advantageous solutions to hundreds of our clients and guide them through tax issues with an eye toward maximizing benefits, reducing risk, and assuring compliance with applicable laws. Our depth of knowledge in all areas of tax law and full range of services allow us to address all of our clients’ legal tax needs.
Our Tax group includes attorneys who have specific experience in the areas of employee benefits, tax-exempt entities, real estate and syndication, public finance and tax-exempt bonds, personal tax planning, and estate and trust tax planning.
Nixon Peabody’s Tax practice was featured in the “Best Law Firms” rankings by U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers (2011–12). Nixon Peabody’s Tax practice has also been recommended as one of the “leading tax firms in the world” in the 6th edition of Tax Directors Handbook 2012, compiled by the publishers of The Legal 500 and Legal Business Magazine.
- Served as tax counsel for a $500 million tax-free merger of two public companies
- Structured and drafted partnership agreements for operating businesses, investment funds, venture funds, leveraged buyout funds, hedge funds, and real estate development ventures
- Advised clients on entity structure and negotiated government financial incentives on their behalf
- Structured a complex recapitalization and redemption of stock of a large, privately held multinational corporate group in the manufacturing sector
- Performed a 50-state survey of sales and use taxation for Internet-based business relating to sales of products via Internet access and computer downloading
- Advised a manufacturing company how to satisfy its multistate sales tax collection responsibilities
- Represented clients to obtain IRS Private Letter Rulings and similar assurances from state and local tax authorities
- Represented clients in IRS audits, at the IRS Appeals Office, and in federal tax litigation
- Represented clients in state tax audits and litigation in numerous states
- Represented clients in various state unclaimed property audits and negotiations
- Represented clients making voluntary disclosures of offshore accounts to the IRS