Tax Credit Finance & Syndication
TAX CREDIT FINANCE & SYNDICATION
We partner with our clients to structure their present and future tax credit transactions. From housing and new markets to historic preservation and renewable energy, no firm has a deeper bench of well-connected industry experts.
The U.S. government has supported qualifying projects with billions of dollars in tax credits and grants since the programs’ inception. Tax credits make many community development ventures financially feasible—yet more complex. With experience in thousands of these deals, we know what will work and can help you shape unique projects that will work financially and offer the added benefit of positive social impact.
The key programs we use to help our clients:
Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC)
Created more than 2.4 million units of affordable housing since 1986 and generates about 120,000 more each year.
We helped shape the legislation that created the LIHTC and have contributed to every major federal housing program since 1970, making our team LIHTC’s unparalleled problem solvers.
New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC)
Supports projects that often revitalize underserved urban and rural neighborhoods. We help clients close hundreds of NMTC transactions to build charter schools, hotels, commercial and mixed-use developments.
Federal Historic Tax Credit (HTC)
Critical driver of downtown real estate investment and community revitalization. Old buildings have a singular role in “placemaking” our neighborhoods as vibrant and desirable places to live. We help our clients bring new life to theaters, former factories and old gems like armories and department stores.
We’ve worked on the financial, regulatory and operations structures for renewable energy facilities nationwide:
Energy Tax Credits
Traditionally utilized primarily for solar and fuel cell transactions, have recently been instrumental in the financing of wind and biomass facilities too. We assist our clients in all aspects of the development and financing of energy installations of all sizes, including from residential rooftop solar facilities to utility-scale, ground-mounted solar facilities for the military; from single wind turbines to large wind farms.
Production Tax Credit (PTC)
Less frequently used over the past few years, PTC helps clients benefit from certain high-performing wind, biofuels, biomass and other cutting-edge energy technologies.
Who we work with
- Institutional investor clients including banks and other financial institutions, as well as insurance companies, direct investors and others seeking social investment opportunities. These clients depend on us not only to structure and give tax advice on a deal, but also to provide asset management, compliance and legislative assistance.
- Lenders, including nonprofit and for-profit CDEs and CDFIs.
- Fortune 100 corporations participating in direct and secondary investments generating tax credits rely on us to partner with their tax, legal and financial departments to negotiate and structure tax credit projects.
- Nonprofit organizations, cities and states seeking to amplify community revitalization initiatives through tax credits. We assist these clients in every phase of the process.
- For-profit developers and energy companies hoping to leverage their investments with tax credits.
- Underwriters and secondary market participants needing technical and structuring advice.
IPED Conferences and Seminars
Please also visit the Institute for Professional and Executive Development (IPED) for more conference and seminar offerings.
- Little Work at Theater
Detroit News | November 18, 2013
Washington, DC, Tax Credit Finance & Syndication partner David Schon discusses the historic National Theatre in Detroit and potential rehabilitation efforts to restore the property.
- Is It Time To Fix the Solar ITC?
Renewable Energy World | September 25, 2013
Boston Tax Credit Finance & Syndication partner Jim Duffy discusses a potential change to the language of the solar investment tax credit (ITC) which could help pave the way for future solar energy projects.
- Strategies for Renovation: Notes from Novogradac Historic Tax Credit Conference
Model D | September 24, 2013
Washington, DC, Tax Credit Finance & Syndication partner David Schon is prominently featured in this article recapping Novogradac Historic Tax Credit Conference in Detroit focused on strategies for rehabilitation projects.