- Harvard Law School, Program on Negotiation
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., Contributing Author, University of Pittsburgh Journal of Law and Commerce
- Georgetown University McDonough School of Business, B.S.B.A., Recipient of the Dean's Citation
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- National Contracts Management Association (NCMA)
- Member of the Board of Advisors for Program Year 2014
- Member of the Executive Advisory Council
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- American Bar Association, member of the Forum on Franchising and the Public Contract Law Section
- Philadelphia Public Television (WYBE-TV), former chairman of the board of directors
VINCENT J. NAPOLEON
Vince Napoleon focuses his practice on corporate transactions, government contracts, mergers and acquisitions and life sciences. He counsels clients on compliance matters as well as litigation and GAO protests.
What do you focus on?
View from inside
I served as general counsel of major divisions of Fortune 100 companies for more than 25 years. In that capacity, I gained valuable insight into the client perspective in corporate transactions and government contracting having guided clients through a number of significant transactions including public finance deals and public-private partnership transactions. I also served as general counsel of two publicly held companies (a pharmaceutical-related company and a biotechnology company) where I was a member of senior leadership teams and advised and counseled boards of directors.
As GC, I provided business and legal solutions in various industries, including aerospace, manufacturing, software, professional services and life sciences. This wide ranging industry experience allows me to be a true business advisor.
As a private attorney, I represent clients domestically and throughout Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America and Australia. I counsel clients on SEC-related issues, mergers and acquisitions, cross-border transactions, regulatory compliance (including Sarbanes-Oxley compliance) and corporate governance issues. I’ve also represented clients in litigation involving patents, trademarks, other intellectual property and high technology.
As a retired Air Force Colonel and senior member of the staff of the Air Force’s Deputy Assistant Secretary for Contracting and as the former Senior Contracting Official for the Air Force District of Washington, I help clients address issues related to acquisition planning, source selections, Competition In Contracting Act (CICA), Truth In Negotiations Act (TINA), cost or pricing data, cost contracting, DCAA audits, international contracting, foreign military sales, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and antibribery compliance and export controls, in addition to issues related to Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and foreign ownership, control or influence (FOCI).
What do you see on the horizon?
I see opportunity to assist clients in maximizing economies and efficiencies on myriad corporate and business-related issues. Sequestration and resulting consolidation issues are another area I’m watching, as they affect the businesses of government contractors. And the life sciences industry is facing evolving regulatory landscapes as a result of the growth shift to overseas locations and the increasing competitive pressure from generics.
Publications and presentations
- “Growing potential for P3 infrastructure development in Cuba,” Public-Private Partnership Alert, January 2015
- “Enhancing competition through new DOD guidelines,” Government Contracts Alert, September 2014
- “Defense and intelligence contractors need to take these three steps to meet new cybersecurity requirements,” Government Contracts Alert, August 2014
- “Backlog of business system audits prompts DoD proposed rule for contractor self-assessment,” Government Contracts Alert, August 2014
- “DoD final rule for the detection and avoidance of counterfeit electronic parts impacts contractors' operations,” Government Contracts Alert, June 2014
- “Understanding Federal Contract Compliance,” NCMA World Congress, Washington, DC, 2014
- “‘Reprocessed’ and the Berry Amendment: When Domestic Preference Turns a Blind Eye to Common Usage,” The Procurement Lawyer, Volume 49, Number 3, Spring 2014
- “Public sector improvements are coming and other key takeaways from the Africa PPP Conference & Showcase,” Africa Alert, January 2014
- “Investors: prepare now to take advantage of African public-private partnerships in 2014,” Africa Alert, December 2013
- “Defective Pricing: Truth In Negotiations Act (TINA) Compliance,” NCMA Government Contract Management Symposium, Washington, DC, 2013
- “DCAA’S Access to Contractor Internal Audit Reports and Related Materials,” NCMA World Congress, Nashville, TN, 2013
- “Defense Contract Audit Agency’s Access to Contractor Internal Audit Reports: Is Newport News Still the Standard?” Public Contract Law Journal, Volume No. 42, Issue No. 3, Spring 2013.
- “DCAA Guidance: Access to Internal Audits,” NCMA Audits Virtual Conference, Webinar, 2013.
- “Understanding Government Contract Audits,” NCMA World Congress, Boston, MA, 2012.
- “The Impact of Global Patent and Regulatory Reform on Patent Strategies for Biotechnology,” International BIO Forum & BIO Expo, Tokyo, Japan, 2008. (Speaker)
- “The Impact of Global Patent and Regulatory Reform on Patent Strategies for Biotechnology,” U. Pitt. J. Tech. L. & Pol’y 3, 2008. (Author)
- “District Court Blocks USPTO’s Bid to Revamp Patent Rule,” Intellectual Property Today, April 2008. (Author)
- “Patent Rules Would Impede Innovation,” Washington Technology, 10 December 2007. (Author)
- “IP Protectors, Patents Take Center Stage in Business Litigation and the Global Business Environment,” InsideCounsel, July 2006. (Author)
- “The 21 st Century GC, Today’s General Counsel Must Strive to Develop C-Suite Skill Sets,” InsideCounsel, March 2006. (Author)
- “The Government Contractor Defense: Its Implications in the Wake of Boyle v. United Technologies Corporation,” National Contracts Management Journal, Summer 1989. (Author)
- “An Annotated Bibliography of ‘Lemon’ Law and Other Related Publications,” The Journal of Law and Commerce, 1984. (Author)
- Growing Potential for P3 Infrastructure Development in Cuba
Law360 | January 30, 2015
Washington, DC, Commercial Litigation and Government Contracts partner Vince Napoleon and Washington, DC, IP Litigation staff attorney Diana Vilmenay authored this column on the potential impacts of new developments in U.S./Cuba relations on Cuban infrastructure growth.
- Insights on DOD's Final Counterfeit Parts Rule
Law360 | December 15, 2014
Washington, DC, Commercial Litigation partner Vince Napoleon and Washington, DC, IP Litigation staff attorney Diana Vilmenay authored this column discussing the Department of Defense’s counterfeit parts rule.
- Mitigating the Risk of Contractor Ethics and Compliance Violations
Contract Management | November 14, 2014
Washington, DC, Commercial Litigation and Government Contracts partner Vince Napoleon authored this article discussing consequences government contractors could face for failing to meet compliance and ethics obligations.