- Harvard Law School, Program on Negotiation
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., Contributing Author, University of Pittsburgh Journal of Law and Commerce
- Georgetown University McDonough School of Business, B.S.B.A., Recipient of the Dean's Citation
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- National Contracts Management Association (NCMA)
- Member of the Board of Advisors for Program Year 2014
- Member of the Executive Advisory Council
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- American Bar Association, member of the Forum on Franchising and the Public Contract Law Section
- Philadelphia Public Television (WYBE-TV), former chairman of the board of directors
VINCENT J. NAPOLEON
Vince Napoleon focuses his practice on corporate transactions, government contracts and life sciences. He counsels clients on compliance as well as litigation.
What do you focus on?
View from inside
I served as general counsel of major divisions of Fortune 100 companies for more than 25 years. In that capacity, I gained valuable insight into the client perspective in corporate transactions and government contracting. I also served as general counsel of two publicly held companies (a pharmaceutical-related company and a biotechnology company) where I was a member of senior leadership teams and advised and counseled boards of directors.
As GC, I provided business and legal solutions in various industries, including aerospace, manufacturing, software, professional services and life sciences. This wide ranging industry experience allows me to be a true business advisor.
As a private attorney, I represent clients domestically and throughout Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America and Australia. I counsel clients on SEC-related issues, mergers and acquisitions, cross-border transactions, regulatory compliance (including Sarbanes-Oxley compliance) and corporate governance issues. I’ve also represented clients in litigation involving patents, trademarks, other intellectual property and high technology.
I help clients address issues related to acquisition planning, source selections, Competition In Contracting Act (CICA), Truth In Negotiations Act (TINA), cost or pricing data, cost contracting, DCAA audits, international contracting, foreign military sales, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and antibribery compliance and export controls.
What do you see on the horizon?
I see opportunity to assist clients in maximizing economies and efficiencies on myriad corporate and business-related issues. Sequestration and resulting consolidation issues are another area I’m watching, as they affect the businesses of government contractors. And the life sciences industry is facing evolving regulatory landscapes as a result of the growth shift to overseas locations and the increasing competitive pressure from generics.
Publications and presentations
- “Defense Contract Audit Agency’s Access to Contractor Internal Audit Reports: Is Newport News Still the Standard?” Public Contract Law Journal, Volume No. 42/Issue No. 3, Spring 2013.
- “DCAA Guidance: Access to Internal Audits,” NCMA Audits Virtual Conference, Webinar, 2013.
- “Understanding Government Contract Audits,” NCMA World Congress, Boston, MA, 2012.
- “The Impact of Global Patent and Regulatory Reform on Patent Strategies for Biotechnology,” International BIO Forum & BIO Expo, Tokyo, Japan, 2008. (Speaker)
- “The Impact of Global Patent and Regulatory Reform on Patent Strategies for Biotechnology,” U. Pitt. J. Tech. L. & Pol’y 3, 2008. (Author)
- “District Court Blocks USPTO’s Bid to Revamp Patent Rule,” Intellectual Property Today, April 2008. (Author)
- “Patent Rules Would Impede Innovation,” Washington Technology, 10 December 2007. (Author)
- “IP Protectors, Patents Take Center Stage in Business Litigation and the Global Business Environment,” InsideCounsel, July 2006. (Author)
- “The 21 st Century GC, Today’s General Counsel Must Strive to Develop C-Suite Skill Sets,” InsideCounsel, March 2006. (Author)
- “The Government Contractor Defense: Its Implications in the Wake of Boyle v. United Technologies Corporation,” National Contracts Management Journal, Summer 1989. (Author)
- “An Annotated Bibliography of ‘Lemon’ Law and Other Related Publications,” The Journal of Law and Commerce, 1984. (Author)
- People on the Move
Washington Business Journal | February 4, 2014
This coverage notes that Washington, DC, Commercial Litigation & Government Contracts attorney Vince Napoleon has been elected to the firm’s partnership.
- Policy Change Puts Past Performance in Spotlight
Washington Post | August 19, 2013
Washington, DC, Commercial Litigation and Government Contracts counsel Vince Napoleon discusses a new federal policy standardizing past performance information so that agencies can share similar information about how well contractors completed past work.
- Defense Contract Audit Agency's Access to Contractor Internal Audit Reports
Public Contract Law Journal | June 1, 2013
Washington, DC, Government Contracts and Commercial Litigation counsel Vince Napoleon and Washington, DC, Commercial Litigation associate Shanelle Henry authored this column addressing the question of whether United States v. Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co. continues to be the standard for guiding the Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) auditors’ access to internal audit materials.