Employers face a heavy compliance burden with the thousands of complex and frequently changing laws and regulations that govern labor and employment. Even seemingly minor mistakes can expose a company to costly litigation and administrative penalties and damage employee relations. Employers constantly need to examine and update their policies, procedures, and business practices in order to stay current with the dynamic legal environment and to protect against risk factors that could threaten their organization.
To address these potential risks, Nixon Peabody’s Labor and Employment attorneys emphasize and provide cost-effective, proactive, and cutting-edge business solutions. A crucial aspect of this approach is to create and implement state-of-the-art standards of corporate and social conduct that harmonize an employer’s core values with local customs and legal requirements. We work collaboratively with our clients to develop responsible business practices and train employees to promote a culture of compliance. Our services include:
- Drafting all forms of employment policies and procedures, handbooks, and all other documents
- Counseling through each stage of the “life cycle” of an employee, from hiring and recruiting practices to performance evaluations to separations and reductions in force
- Reviewing existing policies and practices for compliance with the wide array of laws and regulations
- Conducting compliance audits related to a variety of wage-hour claims, including those involving timecard issues, meal and rest period breaks, and overtime exempt status and pay practices
- Developing Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance programs and other privacy related programs
- Developing a disaster preparedness and recovery plan
- Keeping clients updated on emerging workplace challenges to ensure proactive compliance
We also advise clients during investigations of policy violations and in the enforcement of the corporate standards of conduct.
Social media in the workplace
Given the widespread use of social media by both employers and employees, the workplace has expanded well beyond the office door. Our attorneys are at the forefront of advising employers on the intersection of social media, workforce management, and brand protection. We proactively advise clients on the potential risks and opportunities associated with social media use in the workplace, and have tailored social media policies and related guidance to clients, ranging from small local banks to large multinational corporations.
Innovative, interactive training
We believe that preventative counseling minimizes compliance problems and workplace disputes before they occur, and fosters a climate of mutual respect among coworkers. Our training programs provide supervisors, managers, and human resource professionals with the knowledge and tools needed to respond to the human resource challenges they face every day. We translate the business and legal compliance issues into practical guidelines that our clients can apply to their daily business operations.
Our programs are tailored to each client’s business needs. They are conducted in a workshop-like environment that encourages questions and active participation by all. The programs combine lectures, question-and-answer sessions, and participatory discussion of hypothetical “vignettes” to illustrate various points. Topics cover an array of workplace issues, such as sexual harassment avoidance training and supervisory skills training. Whether conducted in person, on the web, or via video conference, our interactive training techniques are designed to be educational, entertaining, interactive, and memorable.
Our cutting edge counsel is also formed by our own experience as a firm. Nixon Peabody is a leader in developing innovative hiring, retention, and training programs, such as domestic partner benefit programs, employment anti-harassment and nondiscrimation training programs, and disaster preparedness programs.