Join us as members of NP’s Opportunity Zones working group provide an in-depth follow-up to their summer 2019 webinar. In this fall edition, we will explore the practical application of the Opportunity Zone rules, with a focus on timing and operational issues, as well as a high-level explanation of the benefits achievable using different structures. We illustrate the rules using examples for both real estate and business investments. This webinar is ideal for the sophisticated investor or developer.
We’ll discuss the following:
- The five-minute refresher on Opportunity Zone investing—What are the benefits and basic requirements?
- The latest update—What’s happening with IRS guidance? How soon will the regulations be finalized?
- Year-end deadlines—What do I need to know and do before the end of 2019?
- What’s this I hear about using capital gains from selling business assets like real estate? Is there really a different measuring date for these investments than the rule for sales of stock?
- Structuring an investment—How much time do I have to find, design, and build a real estate project? What if I already own the property? Can it still qualify for OZ benefits?
- What’s the current thinking on OZ business ventures? Do I have the same timetables? How much of my business has to actually be in an Opportunity Zone? How does the OZ tax break compare to the tax-savings rules that apply to Section 1202 small business stock? Can they be combined?
- Your thoughts and questions addressed by our three panelists.
- Forrest Milder, Partner
- Ken Silverberg, Partner
- Rick Cox, Partner
This course is eligible for 1.0–1.5 CLE and CPE credits. Click here for continuing education details.