Lee Goodwin draws on more than thirty years of experience in the renewable and alternative energy fields to advise clients on all aspects of domestic and international energy and infrastructure project development.
What do you focus on?
My focus is on the negotiation and review of power purchase agreements, tolling agreements, REC sales agreements and related agreements in support of energy project development and finance.
I have represented some of the leading energy project developers in the negotiation of key project documents, with an emphasis on creating financeable projects while at the same time minimizing sponsor risks.
Due Diligence Review
On behalf of the firm's lending and tax equity clients, I regularly review project agreements as part of the due diligence process. My goal is to ensure that prospective lenders and investors know the full range of legal and practical risks that might affect the success of their investment.
What do you see on the horizon?
I try to anticipate risks. Many issues that are routinely resolved between project developers and their customers, such as change in law risk, were not even on the horizon for most developers when we began to point them out and help clients to resolve them. This kind of forward thinking is particularly important for the contracts that I work on, which can last for 20 years or more. My goal is to help clients to identify and resolve the next round of future risks before they become a current problem.
- 500MW Combined Cycle Power Project Tolling Agreement: Represented a developer in the initial negotiation and subsequent restructuring of a tolling agreement for a 500MW two-train, combined cycle power project to be located in the upper Midwest. Unique features included coordination of staged in-service and termination dates for each train.
- 130MW Wind Farm PPA: Represented a developer in the successful negotiation of a power sale contract for a 130MW wind farm under development in the Midwest. The PPA negotiations were initiated and completed in a period of just five weeks in order to meet rigorous deadlines for qualification for federal Production Tax Credits.
- 360MW Simple Cycle Power Project Tolling Agreement: Represented a developer in the successful negotiation of a tolling agreement for the output of a 365 MW simple cycle power project to be located in the upper Midwest.
- 250MW Wind Farm PPAs: Represented a developer in the successful negotiation of four interrelated power purchase agreements with separate purchasing utilities from a single 250MW wind farm located in the upper Midwest. Unique features included managing both negotiations with individual off-takers, and coordination of multiple agreements to avoid internal inconsistencies.
- 365MW Combined Cycle Power Project Tolling Agreement: Represented a developer in the successful negotiation of a tolling agreement for the output of a 365MW combined cycle power project to be located in the upper Midwest.
- EPC and Equipment Agreements: Represented developers in the negotiation of a variety of construction and equipment purchase agreements for conventional and renewable energy projects, including EPC Agreements, Balance of Plant Agreements, Equipment Purchase Agreements, and Equipment Repurchase Agreements.
Mr. Goodwin is the author of more than sixty books and articles on energy project development and finance.