Tim Horton concentrates on complex civil and criminal litigation as well as government enforcement and investigation matters. He represents a wide range of clients in state and federal courts across the United States. He also frequently counsels businesses on a variety of legal issues, including contract, employment and corporate governance matters.
What do you focus on?
I work closely with my clients and have made it a point to understand the nature of my clients’ businesses so that I can effectively and efficiently solve problems in a way that not only accomplishes specific legal objectives but also adds value to their business.
Today, I focus my practice in three main areas:
Life Sciences and Pharmaceutical Companies
I represent companies in the life sciences and pharmaceutical industries, in both tort and commercial disputes and in pre-litigation negotiations. Recently, I successfully defended a national laboratory testing company in a case where the plaintiff asserted a multimillion dollar negligence claim related to my client’s testing and results. I also successfully represented the sellers of a pharmaceutical company in a lawsuit involving claims that the sellers breached representations and warranties related to federal regulatory requirements.
In addition to helping clients in the life sciences and pharmaceutical industries resolve disputes, I also counsel these clients with respect to research and development agreements and clinical trial agreements. I act as outside general counsel to a pharmaceutical manufacturing company where I assist with the negotiation of various business transactions and manage the resolution of disputes that arise.
Business and Commercial Disputes
Outside of my representation of clients in the life sciences and pharmaceutical industries, I have significant experience representing clients in a wide range of commercial disputes. I handle complex commercial disputes at the trial and appellate levels of state and federal courts throughout the country, during administrative proceedings and within various alternative dispute resolution forums.
Government Investigations and White Collar Crime
I represent subjects of interest in federal grand jury investigations involving allegations of mail, wire and securities fraud and other financial crimes. I also conduct Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) investigations regarding potential market manipulation and represent clients embroiled in false claims act investigations.
What do you see on the horizon?
The number of companies facing regulatory investigations and proceedings will continue to increase. Given this “new normal,” companies must take a very proactive approach to monitoring compliance issues and fostering an atmosphere of compliance from the top down.
Life Sciences and Pharmaceutical Industry Experience
- Successfully defending the sellers of a pharmaceutical company in a lawsuit alleging that the sellers breached representations and warranties related to federal regulatory requirements.
- Successfully defending a national healthcare industry client in an arbitration regarding claims of breach of contract and breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing.
- Obtaining multiple favorable resolutions to product liability lawsuits on behalf of a pharmaceutical company.
- Obtaining and successfully defending on appeal summary judgment on behalf of a national clinical laboratory company in a case asserting claims for defamation and negligence related to its testing and results.
- Defending a Fortune 20 company against claims of breach of contract, promissory estoppel, false advertisement, and patent infringement.
- Obtaining, on behalf of a national clinical laboratory company, the dismissal of a tortious interference claim related to a real estate dispute with its largest competitor.
- Representing a large Chicago-area medical device manufacturer as part of a national defense team for products liability lawsuits against the company.
- Acting as outside general counsel to a pharmaceutical company; regularly providing advice on a wide-range of legal issues including dispute resolution, contract interpretation, employment issues, and regulatory requirements.
Government Investigation Experience
- Representing a number of subjects of interest, including corporate entities, in federal grand jury investigations involving allegations of mail, wire and securities fraud, and other financial crimes.
- Successfully representing a large corporate entity in a Commodity Futures Trading Commission investigation of potential market manipulation.
- Conducting internal investigations and representing health care providers embroiled in false claims act investigations conducted by the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Justice.
General Commercial Litigation Experience
- Successfully defending the sellers of a manufacturing company in a lawsuit filed by the buyer, a national private equity fund, alleging misrepresentation, fraud, and breach of contract.
- Obtaining, on behalf of a Fortune 100 financial services company, the dismissal of a multi-million dollar RICO and fraud lawsuit arising from an alleged conspiracy to defraud based on false research.
- Successfully resolved, on behalf of a fashion industry client, a breach of contract lawsuit related to a highly contentious dispute over the failure of a prominent athlete's clothing line.
- Successfully resolved, on behalf of a sports marketing agency, a breach of contract lawsuit against one of the agency's top clients related to a dispute over who was the procuring cause of the client's primary sponsorship.
- Representing large, full-service brokerage firms in litigating injunctive proceedings and arbitration matters, including misappropriation of trade secrets, raiding, and covenants not to compete.
- Representing large, full-service brokerage firms in the defense of lawsuits related to investors’ allegations of unsuitability, fraud, and misrepresentation in the sale of securities.