Kris Stark counsels clients on complex transactions and business disputes throughout the U.S. He works with clients in a broad range of industries with a particular emphasis on real estate, food and beverage and life sciences companies.
What do you focus on?
I primarily focus on helping clients manage complex transactions and disputes in various forums and locales throughout the country with focus on the following:
I advise clients in the real estate and restaurant industries on a broad spectrum of issues to help them anticipate and mitigate risks. Drawing on the depth and breadth of the firm, I handle litigation, transactions and regulatory and licensing matters for developers, landlords and nationally recognized restaurants in major urban markets. This experience spans a wide spectrum, from counseling a buyer on its acquisition of the Chicago Theatre to selling three properties and two related rooftop businesses adjacent to Wrigley Field to the owners of the Chicago Cubs.
I have substantial experience litigating, trying and negotiating the resolution of complex business disputes, including derivative shareholder actions, breach of contract cases, restrictive covenant disputes, business torts and valuation disputes.
Representative Areas of Experience
- Advising landlords and tenants with respect to commercial leasing transactions, including a landlord with respect to a long-term triple net lease for a hotel on Michigan Avenue in Chicago as well as other landlords in prime retail locations
- Advising a nationally recognized restaurant group on leasing transactions and related issues
- Advising sellers and purchasers in the acquisition and disposition of commercial real estate assets, including retail developers in major urban markets
- Advising developers and landowners on land use, zoning and redevelopment issues, including a world-famous, theatrical and concert promoter on the acquisition and redevelopment of a historic landmark theatre
- Favorably prosecuting, defending and resolving a series of commercial lease disputes between the owner of a historic Chicago office building and certain tenants that have allowed the owner to proceed with its anticipated $130 million redevelopment of the building
- Obtaining dismissal, at both the trial and appellate levels, on behalf of one of the nation’s largest developers regarding claims of specific performance and breach of contract in a proceeding adverse to a foreign investor group
- Successfully defending claims of breach of contract and foreclosure of mechanics liens on behalf of a landowner and developer related to a prominent commercial development in Chicago
- Defending and favorably resolving two lawsuits involving over sixty mechanics liens on behalf of the defendant owner and developer, one of the nation’s largest residential developers
- Serving as trial counsel for the owner of prime real estate over disputed usage and easement rights
- Advising developers and owners on construction delay and defect claims and related contract issues, including the resolution of litigation and contractor claims involving a $200+ million mixed use development on behalf of a major university
- Advising commercial and industrial clients regarding environmental issues, including the enforcement and defense of federal and state claims related to environmental contamination arising under state and federal law and participation in cleanup programs including a Chicago-based utility on the cleanup of the Chicago River
- Advising clients by serving as assistant national coordinating counsel in “repetitive pattern” litigation. In this role, I work with clients and local counsel to develop and implement defense strategies across various jurisdictions while ensuring that matters are handled efficiently
- Advising one of the nation’s largest title insurance companies on developing and implementing a nationwide strategy with respect to disputes related to the underwriting of sub-prime loans