Samera Syeda Ludwig is a litigator who focuses on employment discrimination, immigration and commercial disputes.
What do you focus on?
Complex Multi-Party Disputes
I represent companies in high-stakes commercial disputes and torts, including contract disputes, false advertising claims under the Lanham Act, class action claims under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and state consumer fraud protection statutes and claims of long-term occupational exposure to asbestos and asbestos-containing products.
Labor and Employment
I represent employers in both federal and state courts defending claims of discrimination and harassment. I often counsel employers on effectively handling discrimination complaints and discipline of employees. I also provide employers with guidance related to the I-9 employment eligibility and verification process.
Because I work with many international clients, I also advise employers and individuals on employment-related immigration issues.
What do you see on the horizon?
Recently, the Advisory Committee for the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure commissioned a subcommittee to review and recommend any changes to Rule 23, which governs class actions. Significant changes, not uncontroversial, are being considered that surely will impact class action defense litigation including class certification, class settlements and notice requirements.
- Securing dismissal via summary judgment of a disability discrimination claim brought by a former flight attendant against a major U.S. airline company.
- Representing a large automaker in defense of a consumer class action relating to alleged defects in a special type of tires equipped on certain models of vehicles.
- Representing a laboratory testing company in claims involving defamation and negligence in connection with claims relating to its testing and results.
- Representing an international marketing and promotions company in defense of sex, age and disability discrimination claims in local and state administrative proceedings.
- Representing a large medical device manufacturer as part of the national defense team for hundreds of latex glove products liability suits filed against the company and consolidated in multi-district litigation.
- Representing former officers of a lease financing company in a securities fraud action brought by a special purpose investment vehicle alleging claims under Section 10 and 20(a) of the Securities and Exchange Act and the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Practices Act. Published decisions in this case include Wafra Leasing Corp. 1999-A-1 v. Prime Capital Corp. et al., 247 F.Supp.2d 987 (N.D. Ill. 2002) and Wafra Leasing Corp. 1999-A-1 v. Prime Capital Corp. et al., 339 F.Supp.2d 1051 (N.D. Ill. 2004).
- Representing a Fortune 50 company in the pharmaceutical services industry in securing a dismissal via summary judgment of false advertising claims under the Lanham Act.
- Representing a large national retailer in multiple nationwide class actions alleging claims under state consumer fraud statutes in connection with the sale of services.
- Representing and counseling employers in federal, local and state employment law matters including wrongful discharge and workplace defamation. Published decisions include Achanzar v. Ravenswood Hospital, et al., 326 Ill. App. 3d 944, 762 N.E.2d 538 (1st Dist. 2001) (affirming defense verdict on appeal for alleged workplace defamation).
- Speaker, PINCUS Education, “Mastering the Deposition: A Critical Skills Workshop,” April 2017.
- Speaker, PINCUS Education,“Visa Processing 101,” March 2017.
- Speaker, Illinois Technology Association, “I-9 Compliance and Enforcement Webinar,” March 29, 2017.
- Speaker, PINCUS Education, “6th Annual Federal Court Boot Camp: The Nuts and Bolts,” April 2015.
- Speaker, PINCUS Education, “Mastering the Deposition: A Critical Skills Program,” February 2014.
- Speaker, PINCUS Education, “Mastering the Deposition: A Critical Skills Workshop,” September 2012.
- Speaker, American Conference Institute, Regional and Mid-Size Law Forum, Chicago, June 2007.
- Speaker, American Conference Institute, Fourth National Forum on Law Firm Diversity, New York, March 2007.
- Speaker, American Conference Institute, National Forum on Law Firm Diversity, Chicago, January 2007.
- Speaker, American Conference Institute, New Partner Forum, New York, June 2006.
- Former adjunct professor, The John Marshall Law School