Kris Stark counsels clients on complex transactions and business disputes throughout the U.S. He works with clients in a broad range of industries with a particular emphasis on real estate and food and beverage.
What do you focus on?
I primarily focus on the following:
I advise clients in the real estate and restaurant industries on a broad spectrum of issues to help them anticipate and mitigate risks. Drawing on the depth and breadth of the firm, I advise landlords, developers, family offices, tenants, and restaurants on all aspects of commercial real estate including leasing, acquisitions, dispositions, and construction issues.
I have substantial experience litigating, trying, and negotiating the resolution of complex real estate, construction, and business disputes, including derivative shareholder actions, breach of contract cases, restrictive covenant disputes, business torts, and valuation disputes.
Representative Areas of Experience
- Advising landlords with respect to office and retail leasing transactions for flagship and anchor tenants, including a 225,0000-square-foot retail leasing transaction on Michigan Avenue
- Advising a nationally recognized restaurant group on leasing transactions and related issues throughout the country
- Representing a landlord with respect to a long-term ground lease for a hotel on Michigan Avenue
- Representing a Michigan Avenue landlord with respect to the management and leasing of a food hall
- Advising sellers and purchasers in the acquisition and disposition of commercial real estate assets across all asset classes
- Representing a buyer on its acquisition of the Chicago Theatre
- Advising the seller of three properties and two related rooftop businesses adjacent to Wrigley Field to the owners of the Chicago Cubs
- Favorably prosecuting, defending, and resolving a series of commercial lease disputes between the owner of a historic Chicago office building and certain tenants that have allowed the owner to proceed with its anticipated $130 million redevelopment of the building
- Obtaining dismissal, at both the trial and appellate levels, on behalf of one of the nation’s largest developers regarding claims of specific performance and breach of contract in a proceeding adverse to a foreign investor group
- Successfully defending claims of breach of contract and foreclosure of mechanics liens on behalf of a landowner and developer related to a prominent commercial development in Chicago
- Defending and favorably resolving two lawsuits involving over sixty mechanics liens on behalf of the defendant owner and developer, one of the nation’s largest residential developers
- Serving as trial counsel for the owner of prime real estate over disputed usage and easement rights
- Advising developers and owners on construction delay and defect claims and related contract issues, including the resolution of litigation and contractor claims involving a $200+ million mixed use development on behalf of a major university
- Advising commercial and industrial clients regarding environmental issues, including the enforcement and defense of federal and state claims related to environmental contamination arising under state and federal law and participation in cleanup programs, including a Chicago-based utility on the cleanup of the Chicago River
- Advising clients by serving as assistant national coordinating counsel in “repetitive pattern” litigation. In this role, I work with clients and local counsel to develop and implement defense strategies across various jurisdictions while ensuring that matters are handled efficiently
- Advising one of the nation’s largest title insurance companies on developing and implementing a nationwide strategy with respect to disputes related to the underwriting of sub-prime loans