Keith Edeus represents financial institutions, loan servicers and businesses in connection with contractual, real estate and other commercial disputes.
What do you focus on?
Complex Commercial Litigation
I represent private companies and financial institutions in significant commercial disputes, including breach of contract, trade secret, fraud, product liability, and employment termination disputes.
Real Estate Litigation
I represent and advise owners and developers of hotels, multi-tenant office, multi-tenant residential, retail and other commercial properties with regard to a wide range of real estate disputes, including mechanics’ liens, building code and ordinance violations, zoning, easement, property line, condominium and common use agreements, lease and contract disputes, and title disputes. I also represent and advise both landlords and tenants with all aspects of commercial leases, including the drafting and modification of leases, lease termination, forcible entry, breach of contract and related disputes.
Distressed Commercial Debt
I represent financial institutions, special servicers and capital managers in connection with every aspect of distressed commercial debt, including sale and acquisition, short sales, note sales, work-outs, foreclosures, receiverships and associated guaranty and lender liability litigation.
What do you see on the horizon?
I’m following efforts taken by lenders to boost profitability and return on equity in an uncertain and evolving post-financial crisis market. We’re finding increasing demand to help clients develop and implement strategies to maximize recovery of distressed debt.
- Successfully representing a major medical products manufacturer in lawsuits filed in state and federal courts in Tennessee alleging false advertisement under the Lanham Act and breach of contract. The false advertising claims were defeated by way of summary judgment after which the case was brought to a successful resolution.
- Winning summary judgment as to breach of contract and fraud claims arising out of the acquisition of a laboratory business on behalf of a national provider of clinical laboratory services, and successfully defending that result before the Illinois Appellate Court.
- Defending a company engaged in the sale of floor tile in a lawsuit brought by one of its distributors in Massachusetts alleging breaches of multiple agreements and bringing the case to a successful resolution.
- Representing a manufacturer and distributor of heating elements used in industrial applications in litigation involving claims of breach of contract and false advertising.
- Successfully prosecuting claims of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against the managing member of a limited liability company on behalf of an investor.
- Defending a national provider of hospital pharmacy management services against products liability claims in a wrongful death case.
- Defending physicians, physician employers, and other health care providers in medical malpractice actions involving death and catastrophic injury.
- Representing primary and secondary secured lenders in foreclosures of residential and commercial real estate.
- Representing commercial landlords and tenants in forcible entry and detainer matters and related civil suits.
- Representing owners and contractors in prosecuting and defending construction claims and mechanic's lien claims.
Labor and Employment
- Representing wrongfully terminated public school principals in a class action lawsuit against the Chicago Board of Education.
- Obtaining a temporary restraining order and injunction on behalf of a broker/dealer to prevent disparagement by a former employee.
- Representing a licensed broker/dealer in appealing an NASD award in favor of a former employee.
- Defending a family-owned business in a class action lawsuit alleging violations of federal and state wage and overtime laws.
- Obtaining dismissal of claims against a physician group by a former employee.