Dennis Hie

Dennis Hie is a solicitor admitted in Hong Kong and in England and Wales. He is a commercial lawyer and an Associate Professor of Practice in Law at the Faculty of Law of The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He also serves as a member of the Standing Committee on Compliance of the Law Society of Hong Kong and an examiner of the Overseas Lawyers Qualification Examination of the Law Society of Hong Kong.

What do you focus on?

My main areas of practice are cross-border commercial transactions, corporate finance, foreign direct investment in PRC, mergers and acquisitions, corporate insolvency and general corporate and PRC-related matters.

Corporate finance

I have been involved in a number of high-profile projects advising PRC state-owned companies to list their shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.

Mergers & acquisitions

I have represented sellers and buyers in selling and acquiring business in both Hong Kong and mainland China.

Corporate Insolvency

As part of the team advising the liquidator, I have been involved in the first corporate insolvency case of a PRC state-owned company based in Guangdong province.

What do you see on the horizon?

Although legal practice these days is getting more demanding and competitive, the future of legal practice in Hong Kong continues to look solid and positive. Owing to Hong Kong’s unique status and geography, lawyers in Hong Kong are well positioned to act as a “super connector” to advise foreign investors to invest in the Mainland and to assist PRC investors who wish to invest overseas.

Publications and Presentations

  • Company Law in Hong Kong—Practice and Procedure,” Sweet & Maxwell Asia, 2015, “Part 9: Protection of Outsiders”
  • “Chitty on Contracts: Hong Kong Specific Contracts,” Sweet & Maxwell Asia 2014, 4th edition, “Chapter 13: Suretyship and Guarantees” (co-authored with Alan Gibb)


Dennis Hie


Hong Kong

Phone: +852 2171 6271

University of Hong Kong, LL.M.

City University of Hong Kong, PCLL

City University of Hong Kong, LL.B.

Hong Kong

England and Wales (non-practising)

Back to top