Gary Levenstein concentrates his practice in the areas of corporate counseling, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate finance, securities regulation and corporate governance. He represents privately and publicly held corporations, private equity funds, financial institutions, family offices and boards of directors.
What do you focus on?
I act as a business advisor, guiding clients in their pursuit of strategic alternatives including merger, acquisition, disposition and financing opportunities. My vast network has enabled me to connect clients with business opportunities. I have been responsible for creating numerous “marriages” of great and lasting benefit.
What do you see on the horizon?
Potential acquirers of companies have an abundance of capital and may take advantage of the gradual decline of valuations of targets. Unfortunately, the uncertain global economy and the election year are causing an increasing selective approach to acquisitions. Acquirers are spending significant time on due diligence and are cautious in their pursuit of opportunities.
- Instructor, Client Strategies Course, Northwestern Pritzker Center for Practice Engagement and Innovation, December 2017
- Moderator, “Private Equity and M&A Outlook: What’s Trending Now and the Challenges Ahead,” Nixon Peabody Hot Topics in the Middle Market, September 2016
- Moderator, “Private Equity Investing Outlook: What is Next for the Consumer Products & Services Industry,” Nixon Peabody Hot Topics in the Middle Market, April 2016
- Moderator, “Family Offices and Private Equity: Direct Investment Trends, Opportunities, and Challenges Ahead,” Nixon Peabody Hot Topics in the Middle Market, November 2015
- Moderator, “Private Equity Investing Outlook: What is Next for Investing in Health Care,” Nixon Peabody Hot Topics in the Middle Market, October 2015
- Moderator, “Private Equity Investing Outlook: What is Next for the Logistics Industry,” Nixon Peabody Hot Topics in the Middle Market, June 2015
- Moderator, “Alternative Sources of Capital: A Conversation with Capital Allocators Beyond Public Pension Plans,” National Association of Investment Companies (NAIC) Annual Meeting and Convention, November 2013
- Presenter, "The Biggest Sale of Your Career: How to Sell Your Agency," Independent Insurance Agents of Illinois Convention and Showcase, October 9, 2013
- Moderator, "Current Status of and Outlook for Merger and Acquisition Activity in 2013," The LFA Business Law Community, April 17, 2013
- Moderator, "Untapped Funding Sources-Family Office Investments in Private Equity Funds," National Association of Investment Companies (NAIC) Annual Meeting and Convention, October 2011
- Moderator, "Financing the Deal: Examining the Availability of Deal-Flow Capital & Creative New Options in the Capital Markets," International Institute for Business Information & Growth Conference on Investment and M&A Opportunities in Healthcare, June 2010
- Moderator, “Seeing Beyond the Dark Clouds,” Association for Corporate Growth Luncheon Panel, April 2009
- Co-Chair, Maximizing Your Potential as a Business Buyer, sponsored by University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, June 2004
- Co-Chair and Moderator of Healthcare M&A & Corporate Development Conferences, April 2004 and May 2005; Presenter, “How do You Present Your Company for Sale?”
- Presenter, “Corporate Governance: The New Age—The Expanded Role of Outside Corporate Counsel and Standards of Professional Conduct for Attorneys,” Turnaround Management Association 2003 Spring Conference
- Presenter, “Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained: Negotiating and Drafting Joint Venture Agreements,” 3rd (2003), 4th (2004), 5th (2005) and 6th (2006) Annual Conferences entitled Negotiating and Drafting Major Business Agreements: Bulletproofing Your Documents
Certified Public Accountant