When it comes to real estate development, land use and zoning regulations, requirements and processes can present a complex knot to unravel. To avoid issues down the line and ultimately manage your risk, it’s critical to obtain all of the necessary governmental approvals and permits—but also to do so on your timeline. Our forward thinking approach coupled with our experience in navigating local government processes allow us to accurately and efficiently identify permits and approvals you need, while anticipating and addressing any potential issues that may arise.
We advise clients on issues involving:
- Zoning ordinance and municipal code review and compliance
- Federal, state and local land use and zoning approvals and permits, including rezonings, special permits, variances and site plan approvals
- Representation before federal, state and county agencies
- Representation before city, town and village councils and boards, including all levels of planning and zoning boards
- Compliance with state and federal environmental review procedures and requirements, including the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA), the Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA) and other states’ corresponding statutes
- Undertakings subject to review under the National Historic Preservation Act and/or the New York State Historic Preservation Act of 1980
- Land use litigation
Whether you’re constructing a new development, undergoing a redevelopment project or seeking approvals for a specialized asset such as a wireless telecommunications tower or other utility project, our experience with, and understanding of, local government requirements, processes and proceedings can help turn your development challenges into successes.
Who we work with
- Commercial and housing developers, owners and operators
- Higher education institutions
- Hospital systems and other health care providers
- Regulated and unregulated utilities
- Municipalities and special districts